Saturday, 9 March 2013

Medieval Pike Block (Pt 2)

How time flys!! I started this project just over 4 months ago!!!
Then, there was only 12 bods in the block..now it´s 21 so just over 40% finished!
Interesting are these bods........
I got given them by Michel from Michel´s Miniaturen Blog.
Made from metal, they are part of a new(ish) set of  swiss infantry and so far, I´ve only seen them for sale HERE 
The creator´s name Alexey Pivtorak is completely new to me. Anyone know anything about him?

The Swiss pike block being created by Frank Ziegler has also expanded, with the addition of halbardiers.
Added to the front ranks, the block is becoming one impressive looking beast!!!
An armoured Pikeman from the front ranks. So far there are 72 pikemen and halbardiers, and each of them can have either carry a pike or halbard which would mean a block with 144 bods..and then the musicians, arquebusiers,  command etc!!!!!!!!!


17 comments:

  1. These look great and that block when finished will be jaw dropping

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pikemen Paul. There's just something about the yellow and black of Uri that I can't help liking - I really had to restrain myself from painting all my Swiss up as being from that canton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fantastic. Impressive sight your 72 pikemen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure which pike method you are using. Broom bristle, floral wire or both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Floral wire..0.8mm. There´s some I found that has a black matt coating which makes painting them much easier than the usual shiny green covering and it´s cheaper than the green stuff, 80 X 20cm lengths...which works out at 160- or 200 plus lances. The spearheads are just banged flat with a hammer then snipped and filled to a point.

      Delete
  5. Wow! That is going to be the best pike block ever when finished. Very impressive Paul.
    Cheers,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, but I think Tasmin will beat me with hers...

      Delete
    2. Don't know what you mean by that Paul. I mean, there are only 256 of them.... ;)

      Delete
  6. Love pike blocks in general I've several myself, no where near your standards however...well done as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! The photos are excellent... very dynamic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They certainly look the biz all together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A painters troops in motion. Nice, Mr. Bods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so many pikemen!!!!!!!!

    and the ones you did look wonderful also great work

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, realy nice looking miniatures.

    ReplyDelete