Thursday 15 April 2021

Black Riders

12 bods and 10 Nags. 

10 of the bods, 9 mounted and one on foot*, are the  "run of the mill" and hard to tell apart Nazgûl / Ringwraiths. each one dressed the same as the last. 

Tiny amount of flash, mainly on the nags. The one really annoying thing, the fit of the riders to the nags. I had to remove plastic from the inside of the riders legs AND from the sides of the nags so the riders would sit properly. One or two of the riders still, even after surgeory,   had be put in hot water to have thier legs bent a bit wider.

Trying to catch Arwen..Not. She was sitting  at home in Rivendale.  Frodo was alone on Asfaloth (Glorfindel´s Horse) during the chase. 

Nags from the side. Two versions of Barding, one on the left with Crinet (Neck plates) Shaffron, the other on the right, only has a Shaffron. All the nags have a small Peytral. 

1 mounted and 1 on foot are clearly recognisable Character bods. The one on foot is the Witch-King of Angmar with his unfeasably large Flail. I reckon they could have gone for making him , what?, at least half as tall again.

The mounted one is the Mouth of Sauron, Lieutenant of Barad-Dûr.                                                The nag for the Mouth of Sauron. All the Nag poses are very active, which doesn´t fit to his relaxed pose. I was going to use a Nag from another set but went for repositioning the rear leg of one of those supplied. Not a 100% satisfactory result, but better than him sitting on a mount that looks like it´s running at Ascot. 

*Possibly also the Witch-King of Angmar or he could be  Khamûl, Shadow of the east, who became leader of the Nazgûl after the death of the Witch-King. It could have been him who stabbed Frodo at Weathertop, there were only 5 wraiths present and why would the Witch-King be out hunting the ring when there´s a war to organise ?



19 comments:

  1. Nice paint-job, I think the open-handed grasping Nazgûl look far more menacing than those with weapons.
    The Witch-King on foot could of course be built up a little taller by standing him on block and extending his robes down to the ground with modelling putty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my box yesterday. Really lovely figures and easy to paint, nearly all black:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a great job on these...all black isn't east to paint well but you have pulled it off here for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just great Nazguls! Good sculpt and perfect painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Paul and very black!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice (and well done getting black to look good at this scale). I've been reading the first part of LOTR to my daughter, and you forget just how terrifying they are in writing (not that they did a bad job of them with the films at all!), certainly had her sat bolt upright whenever they turned up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Six months no posts? I hope you are ok. I have been enoying your work for ages, please continue to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi George.Thnaks..I´m ok but I´ve been busy with other things.

      Delete
  8. Nicely done, I always end up highlighting black to the point it looks grey! Less is more and these figures prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Paul, what are you using for the bases on the Dark Alliance cavalry? I like the base size on these black riders.
    Also, how are you getting the riders to stay on the mounts? I can’t seem to glue this plastic together. The glue isn’t holding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bases. Bit complicated but, Using PVA I first glue them to a plastic disc, 2.3 inches wide. Then the are let to dry. Then I make a mix of sand and PVA which gets smeared around the base, After painting, about two days later, I relesae the now hard base fron the plastic disc and glue it to thin card. When that´s drid, it gets trimmed to the sides of the base, and the cut edge painted.
      The riders dont fit the nags without cutting away some plastic from between the legs of the rider and at the sides of the saddle.
      When painted I use Pattex 100 gel to stick them on.

      Delete
    2. sorry, 2.5 inches, about 30mm, not 2.3 :-)

      Delete
  10. Thanks. I wanted to go with rounds on the cavalry to better match my models on foot. For the Dark Alliance Army of the Dead, I ended up with Renedra 25mmx30mm bases. you can see them here: https://wyrdstonesandtacklezones.com/2022/01/01/dragon-rampant-spectral-warhost/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope all's well in the Bod household, when are you coming back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray. I´m still around, just being feckin lazy :-)
      "I´ll be Back"
      How you doing ?

      Delete
  12. Love your work Paul.
    Is this site still active?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thanks. I didn´t intend the break to be as long as it has become but I´ve got caught up in other projects, mainly "real world" ones, educational, social etc but do intend to come back at some point. :-)

      Delete