Tuesday 10 November 2015

Medieval bedtime/Sleeping Knights

These (the first Batch)  will end up as part of the  Teutonic order 1329 dio
After a bit of research on the sort of Sheets, blankets etc that would be on medieval beds I found contemporay pics showing beds with either very expensive richly coloured or cheap plain bedcovering. but  a lot, rich or poor had either off White or pure white Sheets and pillows.
Seeing as These are "middle class beds, I went for the off White Sheets and pillows and to add a bit of colour variety made the covers (or Cloaks ) a different colour.
There´s also some empty beds…
and together as a dormitory

9 comments:

  1. Unusual and very very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very cool, love that sort of scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely modelling Paul, I don't think that I have ever considered medieval bed linen before now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I´d never considered it either but I´d just base painted them then thought "oh oh!! Grey? White? Light Brown?" and then spent an Age checking online.

      Delete
  4. your, Dirk and my figures will fit prfectly together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really fascinating and lovely work, Paul. I admire your desire to research your projects so thoroughly.
    I noticed that many of these sleepers have their swords nearby. Looks like they're expecting trouble!
    Best,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael.
      The Research, although it takes up a lot of time, is one of the fun parts. The pics I found are probably not 100% accurate, more artistic licence than a portrayal of reality. Logically, I can´t imagine pure White Sheets for the poorer Levels of medieval Society being very common.
      Strangely, red bed covers seem to be shown quite often..maybe symbolic ... eternal love/Protection???
      With some of the newer ones (the first lot are only half ) I´ve painted I´ve removed some of the swords to give a bit of vareity.

      Delete
  6. Nice work on these Paul, I guess the empty beds mean they are sleep walking? BB

    ReplyDelete