Ok, it´s not medieval but why not ? *
The kit Comes with "pre-waved" stickyback Flags which are slightly shiny so I created my own printed versions and replaced one ( Christopher Hatton´s Coat-of-Arms) with the Tudor Rose.
The kit doesn´t give the choice of a full hull or waterline version, just full hull so some surgeory was needed to create a waterline one.
Also...I went for a "we´re just larking about on the water" look with the lower gun ports closed...apart from one slightly open but without the gun Barrel protruding.
HERE is an interesting discussion concerning tarred, therefore darker coloured, or not tarred ratlines. I re-wrapped the threads onto short sticks and dumped them in a bowl of warm water with a teabag and a spoon of coffee powder. The black rigging was made with bought thread.
From RedBox 16th-17th Cent Spanish and English sailors.
The Guns.Generic red coloured carriages, black iron barrels and Fittings (they look shinier in the pic than in real life)
They got a wee bit of an upgrade. Barrels bored out, Scratchmade Breeching ringbolts added and handles added to the quoins.
I could have gone well over the top with them by adding Train tackle and gun tackle loops but that meant adding 5 more smaller rings to each gun so I went for the Basics and did 16th-17th Cent guns have all the bells and whistles anyway?
Drawing a line? Tape? Guessing?
After a bit of thought...get a bucket of paint and literally float the hull in it.
I attached wires to the fore and aft railings, pushed the hull into some White wall paint, lifted it out and using the wire, hung it out to dry before cutting of the hull below the "waterline"
Holes drilled for attaching thread for opening of the gun ports and work started on adding some detail to the railings.
I swore at myself for even thinking of doing this as it was extremely fiddly and took ages.
Mast painting finished, pulleys for the shrouds, pin rails and lantern added.
The kit comes with a rigging frame for creating the shrouds/ratlines but I decided to go for adding them "in situ" so tiny holes had to be drilled in all the dead eyes, even the tinsy winsy ones.
As to wether the anchor is positioned exactly as it would have been. Having the flukes (metal hook bit) any further back or forward on the shrouds would have meant the pulley wouldn´t have hung freely so it is were it is.
Tip. As the sails are thin vac-formed it´s wise to add a thread around the edges of them. This prevents any tearing when drilling holes and when adding thread to hold them to the spars etc. Use second glue to do this as due to them being thin, using plastic cement could dissolve them.
When all dry, cut to length and paint over where the ratline crosses the shroud.
The piece of paper made it easier to see the shrouds.
I cut groove in the sides of the boxlid as a rest so the ship could sit at an angle making work easier.
TBH, it was more a challenge to complete than fun.
The fit of the hull and the deck was difficult, the bulkheads and the walkway on the Stern don´t fit 100% flush but that´s probably down to my ignoring the sequence suggested in the instructions but, if I had followed them, it would have been more difficult to paint the various parts.
There´s no proper rigging plan or blocks etc and rigging it was a test of Patience.
No choice of a full or a waterline Version.
My additional "up-grades" didn´t help with making the build any easier but I don´t think I could just have gone ahead and not added them.
*I refer any historical innacuracies to the Management.