Saturday 23 February 2013

Medieval Plague Doctor ........

..and friends. The bods are from Strelets Crusader transport 2.
The odd man out, historically, is the plague doctor. Not because of his profesion but his dress. Modern writers have described fourteenth-century plague doctors as wearing bird-like masks but the actual design of the clothing, mask included,  is credited to Charles de Lorme  (1584–1678) chief physician of three French kings, Henri IV, Louis XIII and Louis XIV who invented the design in 1619. 
Dr Schnabel vom Rom ( Dr beak of rome) Engraving by Paul Furst, 1656
Some of the Bods from the set
Priests
Marching soldiers.
Two who will forever lay by the roadside
Mr B. Eaky.The doc and a unsatisfied customer

21 comments:

  1. There were a lot of customers back then, excellent work Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bags of character again, love the mix

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice little set of figures, and an interesting bit of history there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is amazing, Strelets produce some really good stuff and are my favourite for WW1 in this scale. Well done with these

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this set, Paul! Excellent but so freaky. Even if I was dying, I don't want a bird-man coming to look at me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sinister cove. I like the name Dr. Schnabel....he might appear in a future game. I always wanted this character in 54mm to go with my 17c figures. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That´s a difficult one. I know they are in 28mm and even 1/6th but 54mm? I´ll search.

      Delete
  7. Another great post! Very nice story and figures!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice work Paul. Foundry makes some excellent Plague Doctors as well.

    "Bring out your dead, bring out your dead" Monty Pythons Holy Grail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always good painting work!

    Like you, I think that this set could have many uses : interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It reminds me of a mask that is very common in Venice, Italy.
    Excellent work Paul. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your collection of figures is amazing to me. These are so neat. The Doctor of Death is certainly different; and I can picture him playing in a scifi game too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great set of figures, great job on them as always Paul

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent. Painting, miniatures and fotos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always found the plague doctor's mask really creepy and this one is no exception. Creepy in a good way of course!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Two who will stay forever on the wayside."

    Ooh...I dun'no, a bit of judicious glueing and I think they'd look good dancing on the table at a tavern...you'd have to lose the sword though!

    Hugh

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice one paul, a unusual piece!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This one's really good, more medical history please :)

    ReplyDelete